Sunday, July 24, 2005

Touring Kiev with Dima in Afternoon

WWII Victory Monument & view of Kiev from monument. Posted by Picasa




This morning we stayed inside since we had a morning thunder showers with lightning. We called Alla and told her not to send Dima because of the storm, since her son, Dima was going to show us around town again today. It was nice for Robert and I to kick back and relax since the last week we’ve been on the go. We spent some time watching Joel Osteen and Kenneth Copeland Ministries and working out to a Tae Bo workout DVD we brought. Then we relaxed had lunch and organized some of our belongings and paperwork.



The sun finally came out today around 2pm so Robert and I went out for a walk and discovered an outdoor open market (like I imagined....like a cowtown fleamarket). People were selling fruits, vegetables, flowers & arrangements, eggs, meat, wooden carvings, clothing (everyday) and many other items. All of their tables or booths had umbrellas to shade them from the sun and rain. There was a man selling nuts and I noticed he was cracking the shell open to pull the nuts out to collect in a bowl to sell to people. Today I also noticed when we were on the taxi bus, an older woman wearing a lightweight scarf on her head and a long dress get onto the taxi bus. When she got on the bus she sat down near the door without paying the bus driver. The taxi bus lady asked for the money (I think anyway) and the lady go all huffy and started looking through her purse. The bus then stopped and the older lady got off the taxi bus. I thought we were making a regular stop, however, they were just letting her get off because she didn't have the money to pay for the ride. It's really sad to see so many people in need.



After we got back to the apartment, Dima called and ask to see if we wanted to go out to see more of Kiev. So he showed us around to a few parks (lots of parks in Kiev and beautiful I might add). Dima also showed us to WWII monuments and museum where we could check out their Army tanks, missiles, helicopters, and all kinds of WWII vehicles outdoors. We also past by an Orthodox Russian church where someone famous was getting married. There were many people standing outside of the church with photographers and a Videographer and police all around. Dima said that it would probably be on the news tonight.



For dinner Dima took us to a Pizzaria where we had pizza of course. It was very good. Robert and I both thought it was very tasty. I guess Dima wanted to bring a piece of home to us since he suggested a pizzeria. I think tomorrow I will suggest a typical or traditional Ukrainian meal instead. I really want to experience as much of our children’s culture as possible. I am tired now so I’m saying good night for now.

No comments: