Sunday, April 15, 2007

Jonah & the Whale

Recently when teaching Andrew's Sunday School class at church one Sunday, I was surprised at how much Andrew was listening and paying attention to the lesson on the story of Jonah and the Whale. The next few days when we were traveling in the car he would recite how Jonah was in the belly of the whale because he didn't listen to God and go to Ninevah to tell the people there to be good. I proceded to explain to him that God put Jonah in "Time Out" since he didn't listen and do what God asked him to do. I then explained to him, "just like when Mommy has to put Andrew in Time Out for not listening, God had to put Jonah in "Time out" in the belly of the whale for not listening until Jonah promised God to do what God asked him to do and tell the people in Ninevah to stop being bad and start being good and to tell all the people about God and His goodness."



I asked Andrew how long Jonah was in the belly of the whale and he said for 3 days and 3 nights. I was amazed at how intently he must have listened to the lesson since other Sundays when I would teach his class all he wanted to do was play and not pay attention.



He was fascinated with the story of Jonah & the Whale and Andrew would periodically ask questions and talk to me about Jonah for the next couple of weeks.

No comments: