Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Cousins Anxiously Await For Their New Cousins

Tonight, Karen (my sister-in-law) asked me to babysit our neices, Nicole(11) and Christina(7) and our nephew, Billy(9). So I spent the evening with them, chauffering the girls back and forth to their dance classes and then out to McDonalds for some ice cream. It was a fun evening with them as always and I'm finding out how inquisitive they are in regards to their soon to be cousins. They want to know as much about them as possible. Billy is hoping for a boy cousin so he would have another boy in the family to play with. Nicole, I think in someways she would like to have a female cousin her own age to pal around with although I know she would be quite happy with another baby in the family. Christina, I think wants to have a girl cousin to play with.



As we were driving in the car to dance class, they were helping me think of names to name our children. Boy did we all have fun with that one. That kept them busy for a while. I told them that we'll have to select 2 boys names (incase we adopt 2 boys) and 2 girls names (incase we adopt 2 girls). Some of the names they suggested that I liked were Robert Jr., Joshua, Dean, Austin, Daniel, Luke, Alex, Aaron. Some of the girl names that they suggested that I liked were Macy, Emily, Olivia, Emma, Cassandra, Melody, Britney, and Lily. Well they named a lot more, however, there are too many to list.



I explained to them that even though their new cousins might be talking...that they won't be able to understand them at first because they'll be speaking either Russian or Ukrainian. I explained to be patient with them because it will be just as frustrating for you to understand them as it will be for them to understand you in the beginning. I gave them an example and by having a conversation with Nicole by me replying to her question in a language she couldn't understand. She looked at me like I had lost my mind and was frustrated that I didn't respond to her question in English. Then she asked me to answer her again and again I replied in another language that she didn't understand. The whole time Nicole and I were conversing, Billy and Christina were intently listening to our conversation with a smerk on their faces in the back seat of the car. I finally told them in English of course, that is what could happen upon their arrival home until they learn the language. I told the kids that they are going to be just as frustrated as you to understand you as you will be with trying to understand them. So if they don't understand you, help them learn English by being patient with them and teaching them slowly.



All in all, it was a fun night and I'm realizing more and more how grown up Nicole, Billy and Christina have become. I enjoyed their company tonight very much and am happy to see how interested and anxious they are in regards to their soon to be new cousins.

No comments: