Friday, May 27, 2005

Robert's Locks of Love


About a year and a half ago Robert started growing his hair to donate to Locks of Love Foundation www.locksoflove.org where they receive donated hair to make into wigs for children that have cancer. Yes, today was the big day to get his hair cut....WHOOO, WHOOO!! Robert donated 10 inches of his spiral brown curls and is happy to have his clean cut look back. And so am I!!! Now I have my BIG HUNK of a MAN back!! YIPPIE!!=)



This was the first time that Robert has grown his hair past a few inches, that so many of his family members gave him such a hard time about it. Everytime he saw them they told him who he looked like. One day they called him a Mountain Man, another day it was, a Rebel, another day it was Antonio Banderez, another was Sean Claude Vandam and the list goes on. Even though I wasn't fond of the idea of Robert growing his hair long in the beginning, I supported his efforts. I kept imagining the look of surprise and gratefulness on the child's face who receives their first wig and what a difference that wig will make in that child's self esteem and confidence. I know I would be excited if that were me receiving my first wig.



It's funny how people judge you by the way you look. We moved into a different home last year and around that time Robert's hair had already grown about 5-6 inches. Well our new neighbors seemed to keep their distance from Robert. In a conversation that I had with both our neighbor and her daughter she told me that she donated her hair that she recently got cut off to Locks of Love. Of course I immediately responded and said that is what Robert is doing. Both her and her daughter looked at each other with a sigh of relief and said in a surprised tone "OOOOOOOHHH"!!...now it all made sense to them......Their "new" neighbor was NOT a crazed maniac after all.



Long or short hair, my babez heart is still the same one I fell in love with...a generous giving man who has a heart for others...even if he has never met the person.

No comments: