Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Day 2 with Andrew





Today we got to visit with Andrew twice, once in the morning for about an hour and once in the afternoon for about an hour.



Morning Visit:



When we arrived the orphanage was getting ready to draw some blood from Andrew and the other children that were about to be adopted for some testing and they weren’t allowed to eat until after the blood test. He was a little cranky during and after the blood test since the little guy was also hungry and hadn’t eaten anything yet. They gave him a little something to eat when Robert and I waited to visit with him in the waiting room. When they brought him out to visit, he still didn’t reach for me to pick him up, however, I took him in my arms anyway. He would give me this look as if he were checking me out and then I’d give him a big hug and kiss. Robert was afraid to hold him right away, since the children are not used to being around men and he didn’t want Andrew to start crying. Robert figures for Andrew to get used to me first and then by the end of the week he’ll hold him. I put him down to see how strong his legs were and to see how good he could walk. I held his hands and he was trotting around me quickly a couple of times. Then he stopped abruptly and started crying. So I then picked him up and started humming Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. He then calmed down and Robert and I sat him on my lap to feed him a banana. Robert pulled out the banana and broke off a little piece and handed it to me. I put it up to Andrew’s mouth and he gently bit into it and ate it. When he was finished with the first little piece, Robert broke off another piece and handed it to me and Andrew grabbed it and fed himself. Boy the shyness wore off quick. We then gave him a little water from a water bottle we had and he sipped a little bit down with no problem at all. Robert thought that was enough banana he folded up the rest of the banana and was about to put it in our bag. When he moved the banana toward the bag, Andrew opened his mouth real wide like to say…don’t put it in the bag, put it in my mouth instead, can’t you see I’m still hungry? So we gave him more banana and a little more water and all of a sudden this loud burp came out of him and surprised us all. We all had a good laugh and then took Andrew outside to be close to his groupa (the group of children in his age group). We went outside and since Andrew didn’t have any shoes on, I held him in my arms as I sat in a chair near his groupa. He was babbling to his playmates as I held him and then he got real sleepy. He fell asleep in Mama’s arms for the first time on day 2. How precious he is. Robert got a few quick pictures of our precious prince sleeping and then the caretaker took him inside to sleep in his crib.




Afternoon Visit:



When Alla brought Andrew out of his room into the waiting room, we both gave Andrew a big hello. He seemed much more pleasant even from the start of our visit. Alla held his hand and guided him over to Robert as Robert took his picture. Since he had sandles on we took him outside and played with him near the monkey bars. He was wearing a cute little hat on his head. One of the orphanage caretakers and doctors greeted Andruska with a friendly hello and he about pulled me over as he was running to go and greet them. He responds happily and affectionately to all of his caretakers and orphanage doctor when they greet him by name. He tries to bolt over to them with a cheerful and playful laugh. As I help him walk or bolt over to them when he sees one of them approaching and they cheerfully call his name, I literally have to keep up with him since he is holding my hands to help him walk. I am glad to see that he is loved here by his caretakers and he loves them.



As I was on one side of the monkey bars and Andrew was on the other, I told Robert to take his hand until I get on the other side of the monkey bars to help him. Well, Robert took a hold of Andrew’s hand and Robert was helping him walk down the path to Mama. I snapped a few photos of Andrew and his Daddy and then we sat down to feed him. I told Robert to pick him up and put him on Robert’s lap as I get his food ready. When Robert placed Andrew on his lap, Robert stuck out his hand and Andrew immediately gave him five (slap on his hand) and laughed and looked at Robert. We all laughed at how Andrew is warming up to us and us to him. Such a beautiful moment…of course I got out the camera for that Kodak moment as well with his Papa. Andrew seemed much happier, stronger and more active during this visit. When I fed him he had no troubles putting down a jar of peaches and apples and some carrot and apple juice. Towards the end of his feeding time with us, Andrew started closing his mouth real fast to squish out the food all over his mouth. And then you see this big smurk appear on his face. He did that a few more times and we all laughed. His personality is starting to show and we’re loving it. We walked him around some more and then gave him lots of huggs and kisses. He is becoming much more receptive towards us and more relaxed as the day went on. I could see that Robert is falling in love with him as much as I am after today’s visit. When it was time to leave I gave him more hugs and kisses and then put him in his outdoor groupa room with gates all around it. After we said our goodbyes and walked away we turned around to wave goodbye again and he was walking to the end of the gate near us and looking through the bars as to say where are you going??? Don’t leave so soon. It was a splendid day with Andrew. We are so looking forward in taking Andrew home with us as soon as possible. We are thrilled to have the privilege of being Andrews parents.

No comments: